The Benefits of Owning a Pet
Having a pet can bring you immediate joy, bringing you the excitement of sharing your life with a furry companion. However, you may not be aware that owning a pet offers some significant mental and physical health benefits, too.
Some of the scientifically-backed benefits of owning a pet include:
- People who have pets tend to have lower blood pressure when they are stressed.
- Pet owners have a lower chance of dealing with negative thoughts compared to those who don’t have pets.
- Playing with a pet can increase levels of hormones like dopamine and serotonin, which relax, calm, and improve overall mood.
- Having a pet often increases exercise, and having a dog, in particular, elevates the chance you’ll meet your daily exercise requirements for optimal health.
- A pet adds companionship, which can reduce loneliness and isolation.
- Your pets can be a great way to meet new people, helping you begin and maintain friendships that boost overall mental health.
- Since many pets require regular exercise and feeding schedules, your pet can bring more routine and structure to your day.
- Movement and touch are great ways to manage stress, and stroking your pet can instantly make you feel less stressed and calmer.
- For aging adults, pets often bring meaning and joy to life, boosting self-worth, morale, and optimism.
- Having a pet, especially one like a dog that requires exercise is also linked to weight loss and healthy weight maintenance.
Pets offer so many physical and mental health benefits, so if you don’t have a pet, it may be time to get one. Keeping up with a pet is a great way to keep your brain feeling young, while your daily Prevagen supplement can boost your brain health and improve memory. Pets and Prevagen — they’re a winning combination.