How to Accomplish
New Year’s Resolutions
“New year, new me,” the phrase that you will be sure to hear countless times these upcoming weeks. Setting New Year’s resolutions is a great way to start fresh and set a goal that you hope to accomplish. Although you have every intention of following through, you’ve probably had it happen at least once, where your resolution fades into the background. We are going to give you the best tips on how to not only accomplish your resolutions, but blow them out of the water! Four simple tips to accomplish this year’s resolutions are:
- Make goals achievable
- Go public
- Reward yourself
- Start over if you make a mistake
We are going to give you more information on how to not only accomplish your resolutions, but blow them out of the water!
How to Accomplish New Year’s Resolutions
- Make goals achievable. Your New Year’s resolution should be realistic and something that you can actually achieve. You may have a goal to get to your high school weight. This may be difficult if high school was 30 years ago. Instead, make your resolution to live a healthy life. Remember that getting healthy isn’t just a quick fix. It really should be a lifestyle change. If your goal is to drop a few pounds, don’t expect to drop them all in less than a month. Remember, accomplishing your New Year’s resolutions is a process, not a quick fix.
- Go public. When you tell your family or close friends your goals, you will be holding yourself accountable. Publicly declaring your goal will make you less likely to abandon your New Year’s resolution. If your goal is to exercise every morning, message your best friend and let them know when you have arrived at the gym. Maybe your goal is to eat out less often. Plan a weekly menu and let your partner know what is on the menu ahead of time. Having an accountability buddy will be helpful for you to accomplish your New Year’s resolutions!
- Reward yourself. Let’s admit it: We like to be rewarded. It doesn’t make you selfish, it makes you human! Set yourself mini goals and rewards throughout the process. For a weight loss goal – with every 5 pounds you lose, reward yourself with a trip to the movies. If you exercised consistently for a month, gift yourself a new workout outfit. These rewards will ensure that you stick to your plan. Your rewards will be a visual for all that you have accomplished in your New Year’s resolutions.
- Start over if you make a mistake. If you accidentally spill a drop of milk while pouring, you’re not going to go ahead and dump out the entire gallon, are you? The exact same reasoning goes for your resolutions. If you happen to slip up, don’t just give up on your goals completely. Being human means that we are not perfect. Be realistic about your resolutions. Remember, as mentioned above, accomplishing your New Year’s resolutions is a process – making it incredibly rewarding when you finally achieve your goal.
With these four tips, you will be sure to not only stick with, but absolutely accomplish your New Year’s resolutions. Here’s to a healthy and happy 2018!