Mediterranean Diet for Brain Health
Mediterranean Diet for
We’ve been told before that maintaining a healthy diet and exercise are essential to a healthy brain. Studies have shown that there may be one diet in particular that has many lasting brain health benefits, the Mediterranean diet. The Mediterranean diet originated in the regions of Southern Italy, Greece, Turkey and Spain and is considered by some to be the “World’s Healthiest Diet.”
Foods Included in the Mediterranean Diet:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables (spinach, kale, eggplant, cauliflower, artichokes, tomatoes & fennel)
- Olive oil
- Nuts and seeds (almonds & sesame seeds)
- Legumes and beans (lentils and chickpeas)
- Herbs and spices (oregano, rosemary and parsley)
- Whole grains (quinoa, barley, oatmeal, whole-wheat bread & pasta)
- Wild-caught fish and seafood (at least twice a week)
- High quality pasture-raised poultry, eggs, cheese, goat milk, and probiotic-rich kefir or yogurt consumed in moderation
- Red meat consumed about once weekly. Get your protein from skinless chicken, turkey, fish, beans, nuts and other plants.
The Mediterranean diet is not just a diet but also a lifestyle. Instead of eating your meal in front of the TV, sit down at a table with friends or family to enjoy what you are eating. Eating slowly allows you to tune into your body’s hunger and fullness signal.